Example Environmental Policy
This is an example environmental policy that you can adapt and specify to your business and have signed by an officer on letterhead.
Environmental Policy Statement
We shall strive to incorporate sustainability into our core school operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we shall adopt the following policies and practices:
1. Conserve energy, water and natural resources.
2. Commit to purchasing environmentally preferable products.
3. Reuse, Recycle and Reduce.
4. Promote environmental education, outreach and awareness to our staff, students, parents, and greater community.
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
We shall –
• Reduce our waste stream by increasing our recycling and composting capabilities to 75% diversion from the landfill.
• Strive to increase waste diversion by recycling all paper, cardboard, wood, metals, bottles, plastics, packaging and cans.
• Composting all food and landscape waste.
• Discourage the use of disposable products by using washable/renewable items.
• Reduce the waste generated by donating reusable office items (appliances, electronic equipment, furniture) to charitable organizations.
• Reuse envelopes and packaging as well as purchase reusable products.
• Promote the use of natural lighting and solar energy, where feasible.
• Institute a policy to turn off lighting and appliances in unoccupied rooms.
• Purchase low mercury fluorescent and LED lighting and energy star appliances.
• Conserve water with the installation of dual flush low flow toilets, planting native drought tolerant plants and use water-conserving irrigation systems.
We shall reduce the use of toxic materials to protect employee/student health and the environment. Specifically we shall -
• Environmentally-preferable janitorial cleaning products (those approved for use by the Monterey Bay Area Green Business Program).
• Only use recycled content products, materials and supplies when available.
• Purchase Low VOC paints, markers and air fresheners.
• Recycle universal wastes (electronics, batteries, fluorescent light tubes, used motor oil) and prohibit purchasing materials that may lead to hazardous waste generation.
• Promote storm water pollution prevention.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
We shall purchase/use the following:
• remanufactured and refillable toner cartridges.
• office & toilet paper with 100% recycled content as well as tree free paper (where feasible).
• products with the least packaging (no plastic, polystyrene, aerosol packaging).
• Recycled content office furniture and supplies.
• Promote the use of refillable bottles, canvas bags and reusable to-go containers.
• Energy Star rated appliances and office equipment.
• Water efficient toilets, showerheads and faucet aerators.
We shall conserve fossil fuels by –
• encouraging the use of public transit.
• promoting biking to school and carpool.
• offering telecommuting options.
We shall strive to remodel using LEED Green building standards.
Employee and Student Education
We shall educate employees on resource conservation and pollution prevention through –
• Hosting zero waste events i.e. ensuring that little to no waste is generated during school parties, picnics, meetings.
• training programs or brown bag sessions to educate employees on proper recycling & composting practices, resource conservation ideas, importance of low-toxic purchasing etc.
• offer incentives to encourage environmentally preferable practices such as recycling champion, transit hero etc.
• inform the Gateway Community of environmental issues in company newsletters, training material and staff meeting discussions
Through the course of our work, we shall endeavor to promote these policies to other schools, companies and individuals.
Percy Abram, Head of School, Signature Date
Attachment: Example Environmental Policy